Healthy Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe (adapted from ambitiouskitchen.com)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
– 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
– 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
– 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 2 egg whites
– 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini after the water has been squeezed from it)
– 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
– 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
– 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with non stick cooking spray.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step, once the water is squeezed out, re-measure to make sure it is 1 cup.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In bowl add the mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Remember not to over mix the batter — it helps them stay moist! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from muffin tin and place on rack to cool. Enjoy!