Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (recipe adapted from http://www.chowhound.com)
For the stock:
– 1 roasted chicken carcass, meat removed and reserved for the soup
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 12 cups water
– 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
– 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
– 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
– 2 fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs
– 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
For the soup:
– 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 medium celery stalks, medium diced
– 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium diced
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
– 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves or rosemary
– Freshly ground black pepper
– 1 cup noodles (egg or spaghettini will work!)
For the stock:
1. Using a cleaver or kitchen scissors, break up the carcass into several smaller pieces so that they will fit in an even layer in the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven; set aside.
2. Heat the oil in the pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the carcass pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned all over, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer (do not boil).
4. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, occasionally skimming any fat off the surface of the stock using a large spoon. Cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to keep the stock at a simmer, until the flavors have developed, about 45-60 minutes.
5. Remove and discard any large pieces of carcass. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a 2-quart saucepan and pour the stock through the strainer (you should have about 6 cups). Discard the contents of the strainer. (At this point, the stock can be cooled to room temperature and refrigerated in a container with a tight fitting lid for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)
For the soup:
1. Bring the stock to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, measured salt, and thyme or rosemary, season with pepper, and stir to combine. Return to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions until al dente, drain.
3. While the vegetables and noodles cook, shred the reserved chicken meat from the carcass into bite-size pieces.
4. When the vegetables are tender, add the drained noodles and shredded chicken, stir to combine, and return the soup to a simmer. Cook until the flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with some fresh crusty bread 🙂
21 Day Fix:
1 cup of soup = 1 red, 1 green, ½ yellow, 1 tsp